non-normality

Dear all,
Continuing on Hermann's question about non-normal data, what is your opinion
on/ experience with using an animal model in analysing non-normal data?
I have applied it succesfully (i.e. convergence to reasonable estimates) on my
data. I tried to get a confirmation of the results from applying a sire + dam
model on the same data, but the iteration did not converge. This is very
likely caused by small family sizes in this particular case.
I know that other users have bad experience with animal models, and they use
sire+dam models instead.

But first of all, it is not quite clear to me, if animal models applied to
discrete data lead to proper estimates?

Best regards,
Bart Ducro

Animal Breeding & Genetics group