Use of log likelihood and BLUP option

Hi,
I am working with a model with normal errors but a log link. ASREML does
not seem to handle this for my dataset.  Part of the problem may be that
the log likelihood is positive and is also relatively flat. I would like
to profile the variance components to assess this.

Can I use the log likelihood to manually search a small grid?

Previous versions of the manual had discussed the use of the BLUP and
MAXIT options.  Is it correct to use MAXIT=1 or BLUP 1?
I think that the !BLUP v option is broken or doesn't work as indicated in
the recent versions of ASREML if v is not 1 (see below).

Thanks,
Bruce

Normal with log link Glmm
 animal   !p
 perm      !A
 breed     !A
 year      !I
 age       !I
 or        !M 0
 nlb       !M 0
ped.coded
brs.data !NODISPLAY  !blup 2 #  !maxit 1
 or !log !disp  !RESPONSE   ~ mu breed year age  !r  animal 0.2 perm 0.09

Provides :
$ asreml z
 13 Sep 2000 11:52:49.800   8.00 Mbyte  Unix   z
 A-inverse retrieved from ainverse.bin
 PEDIGREE [ped.coded ] has      854 identities,    2823 Non zero elements
 Univariate analysis of or
  Forming  1231  equations:  19  dense
  1   -269.14 0.508        921