Combining desigh variables

Suppose we have a pair of alleles (or haplotypes) inherited from sire and dam
respectively, and we wish to fit the allele value as a level of a factor whether
it comes from sire or dam. So allele 'A' is fitted as a single level 'A' in the
model no matter where 'A' comes from. Do we use the and() command to make two
factors into one? How would it be specified? Or am I missing something obvious
(more probably). This must arise in analysis of diallel cross data so I imagine
there is a way to do it.

Thanks in advance

mick carrick